When and How to Refer
How to Help
LISTEN...don't rush to fix, advise, correct, or disagree
EMPATHIZE...reflect what's heard and what it would be like to be in the student's situation
NORMALIZE...refer to the normal needs everyone has during stressful times
How to Recommend Counseling
- Speak directly in a straightforward fashion.
- Do not attempt to coerce or trick the student in to seeking counseling.
- Make it clear that the recommendation represents your best judgment based on observations of the student's behaviors.
- Be specific regarding the behaviors that raise concerns.
- Leave the option open for the student to accept or refuse counseling EXCEPT in emergencies (e.g. suicidal or homicidal intent).
- If comfortable, ask the student's permission to contact CAPS while he or she is present and/or offer to walk the student to CAPS to be seen immediately.
- Follow-up with the student at a later date to indicate a continued interest even if he or she did not accept the attempted referral.
REMEMBER...get involved within your comfort level and capacity to help.
When students come to CAPS
Upon coming to CAPS' office, students are asked to initially complete a brief series of online forms (~20 minutes, only accessible at CAPS' Office), then scheduled for an initial intake session. Typically these sessions are scheduled within a week of the request; however, during times of high demand the wait may be longer. CAPS assesses an application fee of $15 prior to or at the time of intake; this fee can be deferred or waived at CAPS discretion. During the initial session, the student and the intake counselor will make decisions about the type of assistance needed.
Students requiring immediate assistance are seen the same day on an emergency basis. Emergency sessions are intended for those students experiencing suicidal thoughts, having difficulty completing typical daily tasks, or facing an acute stressor that threatens the life of self or others.
Students may review portions of the paperwork prior to coming to CAPS. These documents are available below.