Although there has been extensive publicity regarding the apathy of college students, IUPUI supports a variety of ways for faculty, staff, and students to be politically engaged in today's society. Here are a few ideas for how to get started:
- Communicate with elected officials
- Work on a campaign
- Join one of the many politically affiliated student organizations at IUPUI
IUPUI supports the political engagement of students, faculty and staff through initiatives such as:
- Sending a group of students to Hoosiers to Higher Education annual Statehouse Visit
- Sponsoring political debates on campus, including the recent candidates for US Senate
- Participating in the American Democracy Project's Political Engagement Project
What is Democracy?
From October 27th – November 7th, 2008, prior and during the US elections, Democracy Plaza sponsored the "Writing on the Wall" art project. Artist Joe LaMantia built six large blank canvases at the IUPUI Campus Center and asked students to document their responses to the simple question, "What is democracy?" In this video, the artist comments on his motivations and perspectives on the project.